This Rapp & Rapp designed theatre with nearly 3,000 seats was another Balaban & Katz project that opened on June 17, 1926 with The Blind Goddess on the big screen. It was located in the Rogers Park neighborhood of Chicago. With a French Renaissance style incorporated, the interior boosted an expansive grande lobby mural the preponderance of evidence suggests that Grell designed and executed in the Pompeiian style. There is no known mention by Grell that he was the artist and no independent confirmation that he did, however, since it was a Rapp design for B & K along with the style so similar to other Grell works (Detroit Water Board 1928, Toledo Paramount 1929 & Gateway Theatre 1930), it is safe to believe that he did imagineer and execute this commission.
1926, presumably oil on canvas, approximately 25′ x 100′
special thanks to the Theatre Historical Society of America for the use of the images